University Museum Network (SMA)
In 1543, for the first time in history, a Botanic Garden was created in Pisa. The purpose of its creation was to be “utile alli scholari” (“useful to students”), as its founder Luca Ghini wrote in his report for the Grand Duke of Tuscany Cosimo de’ Medici.
The University of Pisa (1343) was already two centuries old at that time. But it was only from that moment on that it began to preserve, catalogue and organize for educational purposes the researches and the activities of those who passionately had taught there.
The University Museum Network, the heir to the previous Museum Commission (1982), was established in September 2012. Today it collects the mandate of the first pioneers, through collections that allow to admire the whole historical, scientific and artistic heritage gathered by each segment of the University.
An exhibition itinerary consisting of ten structures (nine city museums and the Natural History Museum of Calci). The museum’s exhibitions educate visitors on the development of knowledge and methods of investigation in the different disciplines. The University Museum Network of Pisa is a sort of journey through the main stages of the evolution of modern scientific and cultural thought.
The University Museum Network of Pisa, thanks to its educational and training activities, contributes to both university and school didactics and to the dissemination of culture, in order to fulfil the so-called “third mission“. Many of its activities are part of public engagement.
Organization of SMA
The University Museum Network of Pisa is mentioned in Article 38 of the University Statute and in Articles 148-157 of the University General Regulations. It is governed by its own Regulations. Organs The organs of the University Museum Network are the Chairperson and the Steering and Control Committee governed by articles 149, 150, 151 of the University’s General Regulations.
Chairperson: Chiara Bodei (since 1 December 2017)
Steering and Control Committee:
- Elena Bonaccorsi, Natural History Museum director
- Alessandra Coli, Veterinary Anatomy Museum director
- Fulvia Donati, Plaster cast Gallery of Ancient Art director
- Fabio Gadducci, National Museum of Calculation Tools director
- Sergio Giudici, Physics Instruments Museum director
- Valentina Giuffra, Pathological Anatomy Museum director
- Gianfranco Natale, Human Anatomy Museum director
- Lorenzo Peruzzi, Garden and Botanic Museum director
- Flora Silvano, Egyptological Collections director
- Alessandro Tosi, Graphic Museum director
- Raffaella Grassi, SMA elected representative of the technical-administrative staff
- Stefano Landucci, SAM elected representative of the technical-administrative staff
- Matteo Carli, student representative appointed by the Student Council
- Simone Paolucci, student representative appointed by the Student Council
- Sabrina Balestri, organizational coordinator with secretarial functions without voting rights
Annual Activities Reports of the University Museum Network
- Nicoletta De Francesco: [9 November 2016 – 30 November 2017] ad interim
- Alfonso Maurizio Iacono [28 April 2015 – 8 Novembre 2016] as Chairperson
- Roberto Barbuti [1 January 2015 – 27 April 2015] as Dean
- Marilina Betrò [1 December 2012 – 31 December 2014] as Chairperson